First Aid - Head Injury
Although most minor head injuries caused by a fall or a strike to the head may result in a bruise or a bump and are not dangerous, it is extremely important to pay close attention to the following symptoms:
- Excessive bleeding from an open wound
- Loss of consciousness
- Interruption of breathing
- Prolonged disorientation or apparent memory loss
If you detect any of the above, the victim may have sustained serious head trauma and will require professional medical attention. If that's the case, dial 9-1-1 immediately. Until the ambulance arrives:
- If possible, place the victim in a dim, quiet area.
- Lay the victim down with his head and shoulders slightly elevated.
- If the wound is bleeding, dress it with gauze or clean cloth.
- Do not leave the victim unattended.
- If the victim loses consciousness, you may need to perform CPR.
- If the injury does not appear serious or extend beyond minor bruising, it should be treated accordingly.
Learn more about First Aid For Head Injury, and other Medical Emergencies, in online Classes run by a 24x7 Medical Service at Delhi First Aid and CPR Training institute New Delhi. Sign up for a class online at Delhi First Aid and CPR Training Institute