Five points why first aid Training is essential in today's world
First aid training is essential in today's world for several reasons:
- Accidents and Emergencies can happen anytime, anywhere: Accidents and emergencies can happen anywhere, whether it's at home, work, or in public places. Having basic first aid skills can help you provide immediate assistance to someone who has been injured or is experiencing a medical emergency.
- It can save lives: In emergency situations, every second counts. If a person who is injured or experiencing a medical emergency does not receive immediate care, their condition can worsen quickly. Knowing how to provide basic first aid can save a life.
- It can prevent further harm: In many cases, providing basic first aid can prevent further harm to the injured person. For example, knowing how to properly stabilize a broken bone can prevent additional injury or damage.
- It can increase confidence and reduce panic: In an emergency situation, it's easy to feel overwhelmed and panicked. Having first aid training can give you the confidence and skills needed to respond calmly and effectively in an emergency.
- It's a valuable life skill: First aid training is a valuable life skill that can be used in a variety of situations. It's a skill that can benefit you and those around you for a lifetime.
Overall, first aid training is essential in today's world because it can help save lives, prevent further harm, increase confidence, and provide a valuable life skill.
Why Employees Need First Aid Training
Concept of first aid
If question is asked to common people, "What is first aid?" You will be surprised to hear different views and answers from each one of them. Some one will say doing bandage on a cut, applying burn cream, giving CPR or calling an ambulance. No body is sure "What one has to do in case of any injury''?
Most of will wonder "Is first aid necessary"? In today's world where healths care facilities are at door step with super specialty hospitals in abundance. Why we require first aid training? Why so much importance is now a day is given to first aid? Where it is applicable?
These are few of many questions that came up in our mind. The answer lies in only one word it "Saves the life of a human being". First aid is not a set of skill which is taught instead it also contain the quick and appropriate response to a specific illness or injury. Some times a casualty do not require any external help and he himself can do sufficient first aid as in case of small cut and bruise where simple bandage is enough. It has broad range of medical condition where procedure of starting CPR or even defibrillation for a heart attack is also included apart from the simple help.
Summoning medical help is also a very valuable act on part of first aider. So in most of the cases first aid generally means that one should get expert medical help for a casualty as quickly as possible with out delay.
Why we require first aid training?
Now there open another aspect in first aid how to differentiate between an "amateur'' or untrained person and a "professional" or a trained one. Here few points which reiterates the importance of first aid training.
- Again a lay man or untrained person can handle many situations which are non serious like putting on a bandage or an ice pack on strained ankle. But more serious injuries or illness needs a well trained person to attend these ones like using a defibrillator, to control severe bleeding or burn and major fractures.
- When we get proper first aid training we became more confident to take charge of the situation and initiate the proper first aid till medical professionals come and take over the scene of accident.
- There various myths and misconceptions which we are following since childhood are cleared during first aid training.
- Various specific injuries or emergencies related procedure can be learned in a First Aid training class only.
Industries where first aid training is essential
There are so many industries where first aid training is now days have become mandatory. This law is made so as to have workforce fully trained to deal with any type of emergency, give first aid till the ambulance comes. Here are some important industries where first aid trained workforce should be present.
Watch for any one of the following signs of anaphylaxis (severe allergic reaction):
- Difficult/noisy breathing
- Swelling of tongue
- Swelling/tightness in throat
- Difficulty talking and/or hoarse voice
- Wheeze or persistent cough
- Persistent dizziness or collapse
- Pale and floppy (in young children)
- Manufacturing industries such as iron and aluminum should also have first aid trained workforce.
- Companies doing civil construction works.
- Companies engaged in electrical installation.
- Companies manufacturing electrical instruments.
- Power Equipment manufacturers.
- Hotel industry.
- Packaging industry.
- Tour guides.
- Tourism industry.
- Cargo handlers.
- Shipping industry.
- Aviation industry.
Can I do first aid training?
Now the question arises "Who can do first aid training?"
another one "Is there any requirement of formal education to do first aid training?"
A person with or without formal education can attend the classes of first aid training
and will be certified. People from different industries ranging from illiterate site construction worker to highly educated professionals to a simple housewife can get first aid and CPR training.
As such there is no such requirement of any formal education for first aid training
because of simple procedures without any or minimal use of medication.
Some Essential Points to remember
- First aid in itself is a complicated subject and each situation is different and appropriate first aid is always situation specific.
- Properly trained and better informed and regular updated persons are more efficient to deal with an unexpected injury or illness.
- And last but not least important thing to remember if any situation is beyond our capabilities we should not hesitate in calling the ambulance.